As you should know by now (since I've chattered on about it for a while now!) I had my birthday tea party yesterday. I had such a fantastic day and we were lucky that the sun came out and the rain went away-finally!!
There was so much food!! All of my lovely friends brought something homebaked and we all had little pot-bellies by the end of the day ;-)
You remember I promised tutorials galore afterwards? This is the first of those promised tutorials and today I'm starting off with a simple one-but it's definitely one of my favourites! It's a vintage-style framed afternoon tea menu:
It was actually my mum's idea to do this during one of my party-planning fevers a week or so ago. Isn't it great to have a patient and understanding loved one who will put up with our mad, crafty ideas?! It's so good to have someone to bounce ideas off too!
So I had these old frames lying around, not really doing anything exciting except sitting in my bookcase...
...and I thought they'd be perfect to display my menus, instead of just having them loose on the table. Their tired, aged look only added to the hodge-podge theme I had going on.
The colouring was perfect and I loved the ready-made vintage-looking background, which meant I wouldn't have to do a whole lot to the image overall.
I had a fiddle around on Photoshop Elements, my program of choice for editing :-) My main issue was selecting fonts! I adore fonts and always struggle not to get overwhelmed by the amount available. I'm forever downloading novelty fonts from the web...guilty pleasure #37 (I've lost count!)
SO. I went for a fairly regular font for the main text called Georgia which I'm confident you've all heard of before-I think it's often found as a default font on most programs.
My slightly fancier font for the title and first letters of each section were done in Champignon. Go to DaFont to browse hundreds of other choices, but beware-you will be sucked in and you will lose hours of your day!
The finished product, happily placed on the table:
I was really pleased with the outcome. Considering it was such a simple project to create, the overall effect is cute, especially with the frames! The only problem was, after printing them, I changed my mind about serving scones-never mind!
I am in the midst of pulling together my favourite photos from yesterday for a special post, so make sure you pop back this week to see how it all looked in the end :-)
I'll be linking this project up with Brag Monday at The Graphics Fairy today.
Don't forget, my Birthday Giveaway is still going on, so get your entries in if you haven't done so yet! I'm so excited!
You can sign up for my monthly newsletter by emailing me at DesignAndNonsense@hotmail.co.uk!